International Residents and Fellows Program
Residency comes with the unique challenge of focusing on clinical education and training while preparing to launch a practice. For international residents the challenges are different than our domestic residents and range from clinical, to understanding the challenges and dynamics of getting published, to navigating PSTM for the best results, to understanding the robust set of educational offerings of ASPS for their continued education and training.
The ASPS International Residents and Fellows Program has been developed based on feedback from the international resident attendees to the 2017 annual meeting and via discussions with residents in other countries. Through a brief survey, these residents provided insights into their clinical interests as well as other areas that would assist in the knowledge, preparation and training to become plastic surgeons.
The International Residents and Fellows Program features clinical education, insights into Plastic Surgery The Meeting, and addresses some of the challenges faced by both domestic and international residents for research and publishing.
ASPS leadership and renown surgeons of the specialty will share personal experiences, clinical expertise and knowledge of ASPS's educational tools. Join ASPS for an international resident-focused program from 9:30 a.m. to 11:55 a.m., then network with your peers during a combined lunch and afternoon session for international and domestic residents from 11:55 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Friday, Sept. 28 at Plastic Surgery The Meeting.
New this year!
International resident registrants submitted challenging cases which will be selected for presentation and analysis by expert panel reviewers at the International Residents and Fellows Program on Friday, Sept. 28.*
*Submission of a case does not guarantee presentation. International residents do not receive compensation or paid travel expenses for submitting or presenting a case at the ASPS annual meeting.
The following co-chairs have agreed to serve:
- Greg Evans, MD FACS - Chair of International Committee, Past President - ASPS
- Robert X. Murphy, MD - International Ambassador, Past President - ASPS
- David H. Song, MD, MBA, FACS - International Ambassador, Past President - ASPS
- Communicate the mission of ASPS and recognize the available resident-focused programs offered by the Society.
- Discuss strategies for research and publishing.
- Explain and discuss relevant clinical expertise and techniques available from society experts for plastic surgeons in training.
- Identify key clinical presentations scheduled at PSTM that may be beneficial to the educational experiences of international residents.
Agenda topics (subject to change) include:
- Applying for a U.S. Fellowship
- BIA-ALCL Updates
- Fat Grafting as an Ancillary Treatment for Burns and other Complex Wounds
- Research as a Resident and how to get it done
- PRS: How to get your research published
- Use of social media as a plastic surgeon