Gender Affirmation Surgery Primer 101 Friday, October 22 Fri, Oct 22
This panel will feature didactic-type talks on vaginoplasty and phalloplasty, including different approaches, management of complications, as well as a panel discussion. Zero-depth, penile-inversion, and intestinal vaginoplasty techniques will be discussed, including the potential role of a peritoneal flap with robotic assistance. Common vaginoplasty complications and their appropriate diagnosis and management will also be covered. There will also be an in-depth look at phalloplasty, including radial forearm, ALT, and other flap options. Outcomes such as urinary function, aesthetics, and sensation will be discussed, along with pros and cons of staging procedures. Finally, there will be a thorough discussion on the common complications of phalloplasty and ways to manage these difficult problems.
At the end of this activity participants will be able to:
- Outline pre-operative criteria, indications, and contra-indications to vaginoplasty and phalloplasty;
- Discuss various vaginoplasty options including zero-depth, penile inversion with skin graft vs. peritoneal flap;
- Identify both common and less common complications of vaginoplasty and outline strategies to manage these complications;
- List various flap options for phalloplasty, including pros and cons of each approach;
- Discuss common complications of phalloplasty and outline strategies to manage these complications.
Accreditation: The American Society of Plastic Surgeons® (ASPS) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation: The ASPS designates this live activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.