Public safety around Atlanta
Ambassador Force Patrols
Atlanta Ambassadors enhance the public safety environment downtown by adding additional patrols on the streets and in common areas throughout Downtown Improvement District’s 220 blocks.
Beyond the ambassadors you see on the streets, there are ambassadors monitoring the downtown surveillance cameras in addition to the police department’s monitoring station. During large-scale special events and demonstrations, ambassadors communicate with public safety officials directly from the Joint Operations Command Center (JOC).
Off-duty Atlanta Police are hired to work in tandem with ambassadors to assist with their duties and provide additional selective enforcement on a 24-hour basis. Ambassadors and APD coordinate and are prepared for possible civil disturbances.
Ambassador Force Services:
- Coverage: 40 ambassadors outfitted in red and blue uniforms riding Segway human transporters or all-terrain public safety bikes. Ambassadors also operate a 24-hour operations center, monitoring 250 cameras throughout Downtown.
- Patrol: 6 a.m. – midnight Monday-Friday and 7 a.m. – midnight Saturday-Sunday
- Ambassadors double up during evening shifts, circulating on bikes/Segways/TRIKKES in pairs.
- Hours are sometimes adjusted to support large special events happening in downtown.
- Welcome and Information boothes are located at the intersection of Peachtree St. and Andrew Young International Blvd. They are staffed 7:15 a.m.-11:45 p.m.
- Help finding your destination: Ambassadors know every inch of downtown and can tell you the best route (by foot, car or MARTA) to any location. They can also pre-screen attendee walking routes for conferences and events.
- Activity suggestions: Whether visitors have an hour, an afternoon or an entire weekend to enjoy the sights and sounds of downtown, ambassadors can recommend the perfect attractions.
- Medical assistance: Ambassadors are trained to assist in medical emergencies and have direct radio contact with emergency responders. They can also guide people to the nearest 24-hour pharmacy or healthcare provider.
- Maps: Ambassadors can offer one of the most useful tools in any city: a detailed map, marked with major attractions, hotels, restaurants and roadways.
- Provides a city cleaning component to the program, keeping sidewalks and trash containers clean and free of trash and debris.
- Accompanying: Downtown Atlanta is extremely safe. However, should visitors ever feel uncomfortable, they can approach the nearest ambassador who will be happy to escort them to a vehicle, hotel or other downtown destination.
Additional information about the Atlanta Ambassador Force can be found here.